Time to play/write along with Mama Kat and this week, I'm choosing prompt #5, "10 reasons why you’re glad it’s Fall."
Hmmm.....I don't think that's good enough. How about 10 reasons I'm ecstatic its Fall?!
1) We have a kidlet birthday to celebrate! And just as soon as I cringe that one of my babies is getting another year older, I smile & celebrate how they've grown & see the happiness across their face.
And there is happiness whether I stock the party with store bought decorations...
...or hand crafted decorations for a custom themed party.
2) And before I blink my eyes, mini pumpkins of many hues are scattered about the house (depending on wherever whichever kidlet moves them!) and we're off to the pumpkin patch, a favorite family outing, to get the big ones.
Red wagons, chickens, a pig, sheep, half dozen old tractors to sit in, a hale bale pyramid that lets them climb to the skies, random farm kitties, and of course, oodles and oodles of pumpkins to ooo and ahhh over, pick and choose, and come home with four to six perfect for us pumpkins.
3) And the night before Halloween, we gut, seed, and carve those plump pumpkins. Most end up with jagged smiles or sinister faces, but at least one gets a detailed carve every year. C-3PO and R2-D2 was mine!
4) Kidlets in costume!! We've had The Great Carrot, a monkey, Cat in the Hat, race car driver, Mr. Incredible, Snow White, Buzz Lightyear, Aurora, Batman, and Cinderella parade these halls. And rumor has it, we will see Harry Potter and either a scary witch or another Aurora trick or treating this year!
5) November brings on cravings for edible pumpkin treats. Scrumptious and savory roasted pumpkin seeds from all those carved pumpkins are enjoyed by all and since a kidlet went GF/CF (gluten & casein free, among other things that have been removed), close to three years ago, we try new holiday recipes every year. Last year, it was delicious GF/CF Pumpkin Bread, which will make an appearance again soon enough. And this year, I will finally make that GF/CF pumpkin pie!
6) Cool, crisp air combined with rustic deep reds, golden yellows, and screamin' oranges make me giddy! Then when those beautiful leaves fall, its a race to see who gets to crunch it. In my past, I've even hobbled on crutches to get the best crunchy leaves and now, must admit, I've even cut off one of my own kidlets to get to that crunchy leaf first....but, where there is one crunchy leaf, there are many to go around. :>
7) Thanksgiving! We first arrived at our own perfect turkey recipe pre-kidlets for a Four Musketeer gathering here back in 2001. And in the years since, it has been refined & made absolutely moist & scrumptious. I'll let you in on just one of our turkey secrets......instead of butter on top of the bird, Hubby (who is ever so kind for cooking Thanksgiving dinner every year!) puts a couple of slices of bacon on top for the duration of the roast. There are a few other perfect & moist turkey secrets, but we'll save that for another day! :>
8) And after turkey day, we love our family outing to pick the perfectly tall Christmas tree! I request (demand?) a tall one every year. And the kidlets ooo and ahhh and giggle and cannot contain their excitement, which always make us smile just as brightly.
9) And then there's the magical twelve days in stampy, inky, creative, crafty land that make so many of us giggle with childlike giddiness that is brought to us by Tim Holtz himself...his annual 12 Tags of Christmas! Here are a few Tim inspired & guided tags that I made to pair up with dozens of smaller ones for teachers' Christmas gifts last year.
And as if the inspiration alone that Tim provides wasn't enough, he does giveaways all twelve days....and last year, I won one of them!! Look at all those beautiful fabby Tim products!! :>
10) And there's another kidlet Fall favorite that is mine as well because of the great thoughtfulness behind it. An Auntie & Uncle always kindly got my kidlets a chocolate advent calendar every year. But, once the GF/CF diet change was made, the regular chocolate advent calendars were no longer edible for one kidlet. After a little research, she found a GF/CF one from Peanut Free Planet! Wooohooo!
I could probably list another fifty things I love about the Fall season. But, I'll spare ya & stick to the ten! :>
What are your Fall favorites?