Saturday, April 2, 2011

World Autism Awareness Day 2011


While the whole month of April is dedicated to Autism Awareness, today is World Autism Awareness Day.

As some of you might already know, we have been affected by autism in our family.  And we have found it to be everything from an adventure to a challenge, from which we continue to learn daily.

In the first year or two after diagnosis, I lived on Google, sought advice from other parents with a child living with autism, read and learned from 'the experts'.

Now, while I am still learning and seeking information from a variety of sources (at the top of that list are my kidlet's words, actions, and behaviors...they will tell a lot if we'll just try to understand), one resource that I'm learning quite a bit from is the growing community of adults living with autism, who are sharing from their perspectives.

So, I thought it quite appropriate today to share with you a piece I read yesterday (thanks again to the tweeps tweeting away on twitter for sharing!), written by an adult living with high functioning autism, asking people to move beyond simply being aware of autism and learning more about what autism actually is.


Please take a few moments to click over and read.  And if you have a story to tell, something insightful to share, or a resource you want to spread the word about in regards to autism, please do!

6 comments:

  1. Hello! I picked up your page on the red dress club. I hope you don't mind, but I made a point to post a link to your blog and your article on my (many) blogs and facebook. I don't get a whole lot of readers, but those that I do get ought to know.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing the link, karen... we do need more understanding regarding people with autism and not just more "awareness". my oldest was initially diagnosed with aspergers before undergoing a full neuropsych. eval. in the end it was determined he has learning disabilities. just that process helped raise my understanding of alot of things including the autism spectrum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for posting about this and linking up with trdc on it. My oldest daughter has Aspergers. Thank you for commenting on my post too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great informative post. I don't know personally how hard it is to live with a child with autism but we have had a boy in my daughters class with it. I love that she sees him as a kid not with autism but as a kid who is funny and so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing, writing, and educating.

    All are so, so very important!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for visiting! I appreciate and am grateful for all of You who craft some of Your time to leave me comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin